IMS is a growing pavement, sidewalk, and right-of-way analysis company with operations across North America. For more than 35 years, we have used high-tech equipment to help municipalities manage streets, sidewalks, and other road-related assets. After a change in ownership in April 2018, the firm has embarked on an ambitious journey of growth, investing heavily in new technology and professionalizing operations.
We take pride in being a great place to work for everyone at IMS
- from our engineers to our field crews. This starts with a culture
based on our 5 Core Values, which we use as the foundation of our
hiring and performance review processes:
- Take Pride in Expertise
- Be Fearless
- Be Tenacious
- Cultivate a Low Ego
- Act as One Team
If you want your next step in your career to be at the
intersection of engineering, technology, data analysis, and
leadership in a growth organization, please review the details
below and consider applying.
We are looking for an extremely talented, growth-oriented leader to mentor and guide our engineers and technical team into our next chapter. The VP of Engineering role is a critical one for our future, and we are seeking someone with a special combination of engineering and technical experience, along with a passion for leadership and entrepreneurial growth. This person will be responsible for managing our growing team of about 20 engineers, data technicians, project coordinators, and GIS technicians. The VP of Engineering will coach and mentor these team members while ensuring quality and timely delivery of projects.
The Engineering team is responsible for the successful completion and delivery of our projects. Engineering team members conduct high-level pavement analysis, create budget planning strategies in a variety of software environments, and ensure the quality of the reports and suggestions we give to clients at the conclusion of a project. Additionally, they manage the client's relationship with IMS during a project and ensure that the client is satisfied throughout.
- To build, develop, hold accountable, and manage an A-level engineering and project team at IMS, as well as a capable group of outside service providers.
- To lead the design, upgrading, and implementation of new processes, systems, and technologies to improve IMS’ productivity and quality.
- To empower growth at IMS via technical leadership of integrations with acquired companies, partnerships with other firms, or development of new service offerings internally.
- To be a technical face of IMS, conveying confident expertise to clients, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Maximize utilization of existing resources, equipment, and personnel, as well as make recommendations for changes.
- Develop engineering staff to be high-performing contributors to the team with clear 12-month development paths.
- Facilitate creative problem solving, collaboration, and productive troubleshooting among the team.
- Recruit the next generation of technical talent at IMS, keeping in mind long-term needs and create new positions.
- Develop and maintain outside service provider expertise and backup capabilities.
- Ensure that IMS’ final deliverables exceed client expectations and meet internal standards, including reviewing final deliverables and analysis of IMS projects as necessary.
- Evaluate existing workflows and processes and determine which require documentation, cross-training, redesign, or automation.
- Ensure that needed documentation, cross-training, redesign, or automation efforts are ongoing and held accountable for timeliness and quality.
- Regularly update the technical infrastructure at IMS to prioritize efficiency, affordability, scalability, and security.
- Lead/Facilitate efforts to integrate the technical workflow, systems, and processes of an acquired entity with existing IMS infrastructure and systems.
- Assist the CEO in the technical assessment of potential acquisitions and contemplated partnerships.
- Assist the CEO and Director of Client Services by developing new service offerings internally, including identifying needed resources, creating a project plan, and leading their implementation.
- Attend and participate in marketing efforts for exceptionally large or important clients.
- Partner with other IMS leadership to ensure the growth and stability of partnerships with software providers, engineering firms, and others.
- Keep up to date with new technology and ensure that any new technology investments are tested and effective.f
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience in engineering/technology leadership roles.
- Expertise with Excel, Access, SQL, and GIS.
- Demonstrated experience of leading organizational change.
- Minimum 10 years experience leading a technical team with deadlines and other project responsibilities.
- Proven success leading in a small firm context.
- Minimum 5 years experience in concepts and practices related to asset management.
- Undergraduate education in an engineering discipline, preferably civil engineering.
- Professional Engineer (PE) certification that is current and registered in at least one state.
- Advanced degree in engineering, technology, leadership, or related.
- Experience managing and analyzing large data sets using modern data tools.
- Background in evaluating pavement performance and right of way assets.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and higher-than-average risk appetite.
- Passionate about leadership, coaching, and mentoring.
- Interested in data, technology, and analysis.
- Strong interdisciplinary interests within larger civil engineering / infrastructure context.
In addition to a positive culture that encourages personal and
professional growth, we also provide the following
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan with Matching
- Available Vision Insurance
- PTO Holidays
- Work from Home Flexibility