PLEASE NOTE: This position will start out at our NW Portland Plant, but will be moving to our NEW facility in Clackamas in EARLY Summer 2020!
Due to business demands, we have immediate openings at our Portland Plant and are looking for hard-working folks to join our crew! We offer great benefits including competitive pay and shift premiums. We are looking for dedicated individuals to join our day shift (Monday-Friday, 6am-2:30pm)
Oregon Beverage Recycling Cooperative (OBRC) is a member-owned, cooperative corporation in charge of picking up and processing nearly 100% of all containers redeemed in Oregon. We pick up from over 2,700 retailers and OBRC's BottleDrop Redemption Centers across the state, and recycle millions of containers a day. As a result of what we do, more than 138 million pounds of beverage containers stay out of our landfills each year, and we all enjoy a cleaner, greener Oregon. OBRC is a growing company looking for motivated individuals to join our team and help make Oregon's bottle bill a continued success.
GENERAL JOB INFORMATION
The Material Handler position will operate a variety of machines designed to sort, count, or move empty beverage containers for the purpose of recycling. Processes and records container counts accurately while meeting established productivity standards. Identify and report maintenance items. Picks up spilled containers and maintains general cleanliness in assigned work area. Material Handlers will be trained to work in multiple areas of the plant.
ESSENTIAL JOB TASKS
- Loading and Unloading recycled materials from trailers
- Pull 20 lb. bags from rack and lift onto sorting table.
- Identify and sort qualifying containers into proper groups.
- Use computer to scan bar codes and input container counts.
- Manually enter numbers in computer that do not automatically transfer.
- Push and otherwise maneuver full and empty bag racks in dock area.
- Step up and around machine to dislodge stuck containers.
- Clean electronic sensors on machine.
- Recognize proper operation of assigned plant equipment to include safety shutoffs and devices.
- Operate an electric palate jack.
- Safely climb on top of, around and under machinery as needed.
- Lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Climb ladders and stairs and walk on catwalks as needed.
- Maintain a clean work area
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must be available to work schedule as posted, and overtime as necessary.
- Pass company's basic math skill test.
- Speak, understand, read, and write the English language sufficient to perform the job.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish is a plus
- Meet physical requirements of the job as defined below.
- Basic computer skills.
**We require a pre-employment drug screen for amphetamine/methamphetamine, barbiturates, cocaine metabolite and opiates. We recognize that marijuana is legal in the state of Oregon so it is not included in the drug screen.
- Compensation: $14.00/hour
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance Plans
- 401(k) with company matching
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays