Position is up to 30 hours per week and the hourly rate will commensurate with relevant experience, targeted in
the range of $40-$60/hr. The Delaware Innovation Space expects to engage and hire a group of EIRs (2-4 in
total) over time.
BACKGROUND ON THE DELAWARE INNOVATION SPACE:
Delaware Innovation Space is a multi-dimensional, non-profit incubator & accelerator for science start-ups. It is
the result of a public-private partnership between the State of Delaware, DuPont and the University of Delaware.
Delaware Innovation Space is an ecosystem located at the Experimental Station in Wilmington, Delaware where
scientists, business leaders, community members, investors, and service providers in the industrial biotech,
advanced materials, chemical ingredients, renewable energy, nutrition and healthcare fields can build business
concepts together and accelerate the path to commercialization.
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under the direction of the President and CEO of the Delaware Innovation Space, the EIR(s) will create,
continuously improve, and conduct programs such as a hard science accelerator program for the Delaware
Innovation as well as provide expert advice, mentoring, and business building support for the residential clients
of the Delaware Innovation Space and program participants in the accelerator and/or our other programs. The
EIR(s) will be seconded from the University to the Delaware Innovation Space which is its own 501c3 non-profit
Create and support a Hard Science Accelerator program.
- Work collectively with other members of the Delaware Innovation Space staff and partner with the
broader entrepreneurial ecosystem to create and run a cohort based Hard Science accelerator program
supporting early stage science startup companies (e.g., develop
and deliver training/learning modules).
Provide expert advice and mentoring to early stage science based startups
- Stay in strong sync with the needs of current and future clients of Delaware Innovation Space to deliver
first in class science mentoring and business building support services.
- Actively and routinely collaborate with current clients of Delaware Innovation Space and assist them in
Business development and awareness building
- Provide leadership for the cultivation of new clients for the Delaware Innovation Space as both residential
clients in addition to companies to join the cohort based accelerator program
- Be an effective advocate for the Delaware Innovation Space in external and virtual forums educating
people on the value proposition and opportunities as part of our innovation ecosystem
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND ABILITIES:
- Requires a science and/or business related Bachelor’s degree (prefer MBA and/or PhD) and more than 10
years experience starting and building science based businesses in a C-level role.
- Vast and deep rolodex of contacts relevant to science startups (e.g., investors, partners, and customers)
and willingness to share and connect relevant parties
- Real-life experience with formation and growth of a science startup company, setting up its governance,
raising funds, and strategically managing its valuation and cap table over its growth cycle. Preferred
experience with hard science companies in the sectors of advanced materials, healthcare, nutrition,
industrial biotechnology, renewable energy, and chemical ingredients.
- Be a good mentor and teacher. Have the ability to translate material into written form and organize
thoughts into learning modules
- Excellent organizational skills with particular attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently or within a team, anticipate issues and needs, and proactively seek
resolutions while being resourceful.
- Must have excellent oral, written, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Must demonstrate a commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
- Ability to make decisions and exercise discretion, confidentiality and judgment in keeping with the level of
- May require some evening and/or weekend hours.
To apply, please send your resume, references and a cover letter describing your
experience and how it relates to the job specification above, to Bill Provine at
This is a part-time position with no University of Delaware benefits.
Employment offers will be conditioned upon successful completion of a criminal background check. A conviction
will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group
Members and Women. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination
can be found at