Are you seeking more than a paycheck on your new
Then Jefferson County wants to bring to your attention to a position that we currently have open here in the County. If you're a solid professional with proven experience that's seeking more than a paycheck, Jefferson County is currently hiring a Park Ranger. This position provides you the opportunity to work for a county that thrives on working collaboratively and overcoming challenges.
We are seeking someone who is a self-starter, independent, but also a team-player, someone that loves what they do and is motivated to share their knowledge with those that they work with. If this describes you and you're seeking this type of adventure, then keep reading below!
Under general supervision, employee patrols parks to provide visitor safety and resource protection, education, interpretation and ensures compliance with park rules and regulations.
Start date of March, 2020 through November, 2020
- Work involves protecting visitor safety and natural resources through stewardship contacts, educational contacts, written warnings and penalty assessments (tickets).
- Respond to emergencies, including medical and swiftwater emergencies, search and rescue, and wildfire emergencies.
- Patrol may be conducted by vehicle, on foot or by bike.
- Develop, prepare, and promote educational programs such as the Jr. Ranger Program, Stewardship Program, and/or Look Out Mountain Nature Center programs.
- Conduct maintenance operations including snow removal, campground maintenance, restroom cleaning, fence and sign maintenance in Jefferson County Open Space parks.
- Ability to work with volunteers including Volunteer Park Patrollers, Park Hosts, and Community Service Volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Outdoor Recreation, Natural Resources Management, Wildlife Management/Biology, Criminal Justice, Public Administration or related field. Applicants lacking a degree can substitute year-for-year work experience.
- Minimum of one-year work related experience; previous professional experience as a Park Ranger is preferred.
- A combination of experience in park ranger, environmental education, recreation management, natural resources, law enforcement or emergency management will also be considered.
- Three or more years' experience as a Park Ranger, Natural Resources, Emergency Response, or closely related field.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English
- Experience in Hiking and mountain biking
- Awareness of current events and management issues in Jeffco Open Space
- Experience in emergency medical care, Wildland fire experience, and De-escalation experience and or training
- Experience guiding/managing youth
- Proactive communication including written and verbal communication skills
- Independent and self-motivated; ability to complete tasks without direct supervision
- Ability to organize and prioritize competing requests for your time and attention
- Excellent people skills that include conflict resolution
- Must be able to perform physical outdoor work including rigorous hiking both on and off trail, as well as, lifting/carrying equipment.
- Must be able to exert 100 lbs. of force to move objects.
- Must be willing to complete Basic First Aid and Health Care Provider level CPR certification within 6 months of hire.
- Must be willing to complete ASP Tactical Baton and OCAT (Oleoresin Capsicum Aerosol Training within 6 months of hire.
- Must be willing to complete Wildland Firefighter Type II Certification and Incident Command 100 & 200 Certifications within one year of hire.
- Must be able to read and understand operating instructions and warning labels.
- Must have a valid Colorado Driver's License. If from out of state, employee must obtain a valid Colorado driver's license within 30 days of hire date.
- Must have a clean driving record without any major violations, no DUI, DWI, DWAI conviction in the past three years.
- Offer of employment contingent on background, MVR check and education verification.