Job ID: 11378
Agency: Department of Public Safety / South Dakota Highway Patrol
Location: Statewide - multiple locations
Salary: $22.25 per hour
Pay Grade: L03
For more information on the South Dakota Highway Patrol, please visit http://dps.sd.gov/enforcement/highway_patrol/default.aspx.
The South Dakota Highway Patrol is seeking men and women of honor, integrity, high moral, and ethical character to serve the citizens of South Dakota as State Troopers. To be considered for employment, applicants must submit an electronic employment application by February 28,2020.
The South Dakota Highway Patrol will be offering a $5,000 hiring incentive to current certified law enforcement officers from in and out of state or to those who are reciprocity eligible and pass the reciprocity exam and skills testing and are selected for employment with SDHP. For additional information please contact Lieutenant Tony Maunu at 605.773.2231.
Please follow these application instructions. To be considered for employment, applicants must complete and submit the following by February 28, 2020:
- Submit an electronic employment application.
- Submit proof of law enforcement certification or reciprocity eligibility (if applicable).
Questionnaire: Applicants will be required to answer a series of job related questions when submitting an application for this job.
All applicants selected to advance in the selection process will be notified by the SDHP and will be required to travel to Pierre one day during the week of March 30,2020 through April 3, 2020, for physical fitness testing and initial interviews. Alternate testing locations may be considered.
Actual dates and locations will be assigned by the SDHP.
The SDHP has new physical fitness standards that can be viewed at: https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/law-enforcement/highway-patrol-trooper/physical-requirements/.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo an intensive background investigation and medical examination.
Applicants selected for second interviews may be required to travel to Pierre one day during the week of May 11-15, 2020. Actual dates will be assigned by the SDHP.
Applicants selected for employment who are not law enforcement certified in South Dakota are scheduled to participate in a 23 week training program in Pierre, beginning on August 17, 2020.
Applicants selected for employment who are currently law enforcement certified officers in South Dakota or out of state certified or reciprocity eligible who have passed the reciprocity exam and skills testing will participate in a 10 week training program in Pierre, scheduled on November 15, 2020.
Position Requirements: This position requires graduation from high school or possession of a GED certificate; or an equivalent combination of related education and experience. Competitive examinations are open to applicants who meet the requirements fixed by the Civil Service Commission with regard to education, experience, physical condition, and other factors relating to the performance of the duties of the position. The requirements include the following:
- United States citizenship;
- attainment of at least 21 years of age by the appointment date of August 17, 2020;
- possession of or ability to obtain a South Dakota driver's license;
- possess at least 20/20 binocular vision with or without corrective lenses. Color, depth, and field of view must be normal as determined by an optometric examination;
- using the average of readings at 500, 1000, and 3000 Hz, hearing shall be at a decibel loss of no more than 35db in each ear uncorrected;
- applicant shall be free of any chronic disease or organic or functional defect, as determined by a medical examination, that would impair performance of the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation;
- applicant shall be capable of passing physical agility tests, push-ups, sit-ups, vertical jump, and one and one-half mile run;
- the applicant shall comply with the South Dakota Highway Patrol tattoo, body piercing, and body modification policy.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or
existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify
identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete
an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information please visit https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class B retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
500 East Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"